Thursday, April 26, 2012

race review : Run 350 2012

Wrote this review for the Freedom Freaks (my running gang here in SG) blog

It's about the 2012 edition of Run 350, where I ran my Half Marathon #7 on April 22nd, exactly 2 weeks before my next 42K at Vancouver Marathon.

Because of this very reason, I thought long and hard from a week before the race and decided against going for a PB. This, for a simple but important reason: my research findings on the net told me to take it fairly easy so (1) my muscles will have enough time to recover, and (2) I won't bonk out during the Full Marathon. And I'm happy to have met my target of around 2.5 hours  ;)

~*~

"Run 350 is Singapore's premier eco-run in support of the global 350 movement, which aims to lower atmospheric CO2 levels to 350 parts per million, which scientists believe is the safe level for Earth’s sustainability."

In its third year running, the 2012 race took place on April 22nd, coinciding with Earth Day. Perfect!


And we're off! Can you spot me in the sea of 10,000 Half Marathon runners?  =P
(pic courtesy of Eye-See-Eye-Shoot)

Being a second-time participant (10K last year, and decided to try the spanking-new 21K category this time around), I totally enjoyed the race route despite most of it being reminiscent of the nightmarish 2XU Compression Run on April Fool's Day. The difference is that the race organizers this time around made sure the paths were wider so there was decent breathing space around. 

Each water point was well-stocked, the volunteers were terrific (some even crossed the running path repeatedly just to hand out water to runners on the opposite side), medal-collecting post-race was not painful, and the finisher shirt design for Half-Marathoners was awesome.

Good to know!
(pic courtesy of Run 350)


I especially appreciated the environmentally friendly tips on standees scattered all over the route. It truly gave me a "feel good" factor to be reminded all along the way that I'm running towards saving our beloved planet.

Can't really complain about anything except maybe for the shaky platforms placed over some grassy areas at around KM 7 or so. These caused quite a number of sprains and tumbles amongst the runners, including yours truly! Soon after I regained my balance, this poor chap took a big, nasty fall right in front of me. Where I tripped, two other ladies were already seated on the grass getting their ankles iced by the medic. Very, very dangerous! 


The dodgy platform! I'm still nursing a slight sprain to my right ankle as I'm writing this  :s
(pic courtesy of Tan Kim Lai)

Despite that one negative point, I am thoroughly glad that I ran this year's Run 350 race. Well done, Young NTUC! And not to forget, I gotta say thank you to Mr Sun for being very kind to us runners that day  :)

No comments: